A part of Indiaonline network empowering local businesses
Home city guide geography of jharia

Geography of Jharia

Located between the co-ordinates 23.7516° North latitude and 86.4203° East longitude, the city of Jharia in Dhanbad district is one of the most important commercial and industrial centres of Jharkhand state. It is located at the heart of the Damodar Valley. It is the fifteenth largest town in Jharkhand and is known for its abundant reserves of coal, that proves useful in the manufacture of coke. Due to availability of coal in plenty, many steel plants and industries are being set up near Jharia. It is thus a major contributor to Jharkhand’s economy. It is also considered to be the only source of coking coal in the country, and has been meeting the demands of the country for the same sice the last decade of the nineteenth century.

Geography of Jharia

Climate of Jharia

The city of Jharia enjoys cool and pleasant winters, while summers are known to be quite hot. It has a tropical and dry climate. During the summer season, from March to mid-June, the temperature ranges from 31° C to 45° C. In winter, from November to February, the maximum temperature is about 22° C, while the minimum temperature dips to about 12° C. The months of December and January are considered to be the coldest ones. The relative humidity here is generally highest between the months of July to September. The rainy season here lasts from the middle of June to October. Jharia receives heavy rainfall, owing to the coal dust that tends to attract clouds, that in turn bring rainfall. Rain water is the primary means of ground water recharge.

Demographics of Jharia

According to the census by the Government of India, the total population of Jharia was 4,75,341. Out of this, there were 2,58,743 males and 2,16,598 females. Males thus constitute 54% of the total population, while the rest 46% were females. The average literacy rate of Jharia was 68%. About 14% of the total population here belongs to the age group of below 6 years.

Topography of Jharia

The city of Jharia is surrounded by Dhanbad, Govindpur, Baliapur and Raghunathpur blocks. It lies on the border of Dhanbad and Purulia districts. The coal mining in Jharia, besides making significant changes in its social and environmental scenario, has also brought about major changes in the topography of this region. The Jharia coal fields is characterised by gently undulating topography. Careless coal mining has led to the formation of subsided tracts, abandoned quarries, blazing grounds etc, leading to the deterioration of the topography of this region. Frequent excavations and diggings have ruined the top soil of this region to such an extent that the top soil has become unfit for the growth of vegetation. Also the nutrients in the soil have been destroyed because of the underground fires, and thus wild bushes and thorny shrubs have replaced the trees in the Jharia coalfield.

Geographical facts about Jharia

Country: India
State: Jharkhand
District: Dhanbad
Altitude: about 77 metres
Area: About 450 km2
Latitude: 23.7516° North
Longitude: 86.4203° East
Winter temperature: about 12°C (min) to 22°C (max)
Summer temperature: about 31°C (min) to 45°C (max)
Best time to visit: September to May
Languages spoken: Hindi, Santali, English
Time Zone: IST (UTC + 5:30)

Are you a Business Owner?

Add the products or services you offer

Promote your business on your local city site and get instant enquiries